Let’s be honest – are you accomplishing as much as you could each day? Or do you lay in bed feeling you could have done more, or done better?
If you are an entrepreneur or business owner, you surely aren’t lazy or unmotivated. But, you might need to learn and apply more effective time management principles.
It’s a pretty simple formula. Effective time management leads to accomplishing more which leads to increased income (and/or other critical business markers).
But simple isn’t always easy. How do you make better use of the fixed number of hours you can devote to your business each day?
Start by deciding to make time for time management. It may be the best decision you’ve made for your business – in the short and long term.
Then, follow these four steps:
1. Create goals for your business. Goals are the underpinning for all business management, but especially time management. The most effective goals are S.M.A.R.T.
2. Then, using your goals, make an action-oriented plan to accomplish each.
- List the goals
- Create a detailed set of tasks to complete them.
- Prioritize the tasks.
- Build in flexibility.
- Include important, but ongoing business functions.
3. Use your plan!
- Find a tool to track time on a task (e.g., a time management app, paper calendar, etc.) that works for you.
- Use an audible timer.
- Complete the highest priority tasks first.
- Take breaks to refuel.
- Include time to prioritize and re-plan for tomorrow.
An effective time management plan changes as your business grows and changes.
4. Review and modify your plan:
The most successful business owners incorporate time management into every day. And they sleep better at night.